2nd cycle postgraduate study programme in Electrical Engineering
Length of the study programme: 2 years.
Number of ECTS credits of the study programme: 120.
Study programme options:
- Control Systems and Computer Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Electrical Power Engineering
The first three semesters are delivered through lectures and tutorials/laboratory practice; the fourth semester is dedicated to producing the master’s thesis under the guidance of the selected mentor.
Study programme modules:
- Module A
- Module B
- Module C
- Module D
- Module E
- Module F
- Module G
- Module H
- Module I
- Module J
- Module K
Modules A-G are elective in the summer semester of Year 1 regardless of the study programme option. Either Module H or Module I can be chosen in the winter semester of the study option Control Systems and Computer Engineering. Either Module J or Module K can be chosen in the winter semester of the study option Telecommunications.
Professional title conferred:
magister inženir elektrotehnike / magistrica inženirka elektrotehnike*
The abbreviated form of the title in both cases is mag. inž. el.
* Female graduates take the latter title.
The basic objectives of the programme are:
- to offer top-notch professional knowledge in electrical engineering,
- to promote creativity and critical thinking in exploring new solutions,
- to enable efficient involvement in R&D efforts through employment and innovative exploration of new solutions,
- to provide an excellent foundation for 3rd cycle study in electrical engineering or any other technical discipline,
- to convince students of the necessity of further autonomous study within the framework of lifelong learning,
- to enable mobility between related study programmes and to ensure Europe-wide comparability of the achieved education.
General competences obtained through the programme:
- creative scientific research and development work in the field of electrical engineering and in other fields,
- independent tracking and critical evaluation of the most recent achievements in electrical engineering,
- active written and oral communication both at a high professional level as well as at a non-technical level, depending on the target audience,
- efficient use of ICT and its advancement,
- professional, environmental and social responsibility,
- teamwork with experts from various fields.
In the case of limited enrolment, candidates will be selected on the basis of the results of a test (selection exam) covering topics from the field of electrical engineering.
For the 2015/16 academic year, there are 120 study places available for full-time study and 11 study places available to Slovenian nationals without Slovenian citizenship and non-EU nationals.
Provisions on the use and implementation of criteria for the recognition of knowledge and skills acquired prior to enrolment in the programme
In the process of 2nd cycle education, the student may be granted recognition of knowledge that is equivalent in content and scope to the teaching content of subjects included in the 2nd cycle postgraduate study programme in Electrical Engineering. Recognition of knowledge and skills acquired prior to enrolment shall be determined by the FEE Study Committee on the basis of the student’s written application supported by certificates and other documents demonstrating the successful acquisition of knowledge and the content of such knowledge, and in accordance with the rules stipulating the procedure and criteria for the recognition of non-formal learning and skills, adopted at the UL Senate session of 29 May 2007. If the FEE Undergraduate Study Committee finds that the acquired knowledge is, in terms of the level and scope of credit points, equivalent to or in excess of the knowledge acquired in a subject included in the 2nd cycle postgraduate study programme in Electrical Engineering, the knowledge and skills thus acquired shall be considered as a completed study component in the relevant subject.
Progression to the next year of study
A student in the 2nd cycle postgraduate study programme in Electrical Engineering is granted enrolment in Year 2 after having completed Year 1 components worth at least 54 credits (ECTS) prior to the deadline for enrolment.
In accordance with Article 153 of the Statute of the University of Ljubljana, a student can exceptionally progress to a higher year without having completed all of the required components for progression if there are reasonable grounds, such as: maternity, extended illness, extraordinary family and social circumstances, recognised disability status, active participation in top-level professional, cultural and sports events and active participation in University bodies. The right to extraordinary progression is determined by the FEE Undergraduate Study Committee on the basis of an application submitted by the student.
Repeating a year of study
According to the legislation and the Statute of the University of Ljubljana, repeating a year of study is only possible once during the course of study. Any change of the study programme due to a failure to complete the required components of a previous study programme is also considered as repeating a year of study.
For repeat enrolment in Year 1, a student of the 2nd cycle postgraduate study programme in Electrical Engineering must have completed components from Year 1 worth at least 30 credits (ECTS).